Getting a Loan Modification

HAMP Loan Modifications

Below is an exact mirror of the Federal Government's Home Affordable Modification Program website.  I have included this information here in order to keep the most resources for homeowners in one place.

Request a Home Affordable Modification

Start your application for the Home Affordable Modification Program SM (HAMP SM) by submitting a complete “Initial Package” to your mortgage company servicer (the company to which you make your monthly mortgage payments).  The Initial Package includes:

Read more about how to complete these documents below, or click here to find out more about the Home Affordable Modification Program. If you need help completing your paperwork, call the Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline at 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) to work with a HUD-approved housing counselor for free.


Step 1 – Complete the Request Form (Request for Modification and Affidavit).pdf

The Request Form provides information to your mortgage servicer about your home and financial situation. You can download an instruction guide for completing the Request Form here. After you have completed the form, print two copies—one for your records and one to send to your mortgage servicer.  All of the borrowers on the mortgage must sign the Request Form.

Step 2 - Complete the Tax Authorization (Form 4506T-EZ or 4506-T)   

Borrowers who have filed their annual taxes on a Form 1040, should complete Tax Form 4506T-EZ. Form 4506T-EZ gives permission to your mortgage servicer to request a copy of the most recent tax return transcript you have filed with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Click here for instructions on completing the Form 4506T-EZ.

All other borrowers, including those who have not been required to file taxes because their income may be below the threshold amount required to file taxes or their only source of income may be non-taxable income, should complete Tax Form 4506-T. If you did not file a tax return, Form 4506-T gives permission to your mortgage servicer to verify that you did not file a tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Click here for instructions on completing the Form 4506-T.

After you have completed the appropriate Tax Form for your case, print two copies—one for your records and one to send to your mortgage servicer. Only one taxpayer is required to sign the Tax Form.

Step 3 – Gather Proof of Income

Your mortgage servicer is required to verify your income to ensure that the modified mortgage payments will be affordable for you.  The type of documentation you need to provide depends on the source of your income.  The simple Proof of Income Checklist will tell you what documents you need to collect if you are a wage earner, self-employed, or receive retirement income.  Be sure to make copies of your income documentation and keep the originals for your records.

Step 4 – Complete the Dodd-Frank Certification Form

In accordance with the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, homeowners who apply for the Making Home Affordable © Program are required to certify that they have not been convicted of any crimes associated with a mortgage or real estate transaction within the past ten years. This form must be signed and returned with your initial packet.

Step 5 -- Send the Documents to Your Mortgage Servicer

After you complete, print, and sign the Request Form and Tax Form, send these documents, along with your proof of income, to your mortgage servicer.  You will find the correct mailing address and fax number at Contact Your Mortgage Servicer.

Please note, it is unethical and unlawful for this office to represent your case on only a loan modification.  This page is not intended to solicit representation or attorney fees for loan modifications, but merely to provide easy to find links to the documents needed for homeowners to make HAMP applications.  Please do not contact this office with any questions regarding loan modifications, unless you are an active litigation client.  Those questions are best answered by your HUD-approved counselor.